We offer free estimates for all jobs with the best possible advice to find the right solution for your situation.
Why choose us?
- Fully qualified drainage experts
- 1 hour response
- Accredited Health & Safety Contractor
- NADC accredited contractor
Drain Root Cutting Reading
One of the worst things that can happen to any kind of underground drain or pipe is to be invaded by nearby roots. Root blockages in drains can cause the entire pipe to seal up in just a few short months. Blocked drains can be difficult to deal with on your own, especially if the blockage is a natural growth through an extremely small gap in the pipe’s surface.
Dealing with a drain which has become blocked due to root growth can be nearly impossible to deal with without the correct equipment. While there are many internal and external drains which you can clear yourself, this is certainly one you need to call the professionals in for. If left undealt with, these blockages can prevent waste and wastewater from exiting your property, which can lead to a range of unpleasant symptoms.
Why Are Root Blockages in Drains So Problematic?
When a tree’s roots enter your drains, they can continue to grow along the pipe. This can create long, durable blockages which cannot be removed by conventional means. This is particularly true if they’ve been left to grow for extended periods of time.
Any kind of blocked drain can lead to a range of issues for your property, including:
- Sink Holes – When the roots enter your drains, they can force water to exit via the same access point. This can cause the water to enter the soil around your pipes. This will allow the soil above the affected area to sink slightly. This can create an unpleasant surface area which feels water-logged to step on.
- Slow or Gurgling Drains – If you hear any kind of gurgling noise when you drain a sink or flush your toilet, this is another sign of drain blockage. Tree roots, at their worst, can cause the flow of water to slow down dramatically or, in the worst circumstances, stop altogether.
- Horrible Smells – There is a good chance that tree root blockages can prevent your waste from leaving your property. If you can smell something foul when you step outside, or if your drains/toilet are emitting a disgusting smell, then there is likely to be a problem with your drains.
- Long-Term Pipe Damage – Tree roots are one of the most dangerous features in your home when it comes to causing damage to your drains and pipes. These growths will start off small and, as such, can easily grow through the smallest of cracks or gaps in your drains. Once they are inside, however, the amount of water that they will have access to will enable them to grow quickly.When roots grow inside your pipes, they can cause a great deal of damage to the interior of the metal. Roots are extremely effective at causing pipes to shift slightly too, which can lead to major leakages.
Why Do Tree Roots Enter Drainage Pipes?
Plants and trees all need three things to survive – these are:
Whenever the waste water from your house flows through a pipe – water which is usually warm – the vapour will escape through the pipe to the cool soil outside. Any nearby roots will detect this vapour and grow towards it. These roots can slip into even the smallest of gaps and quickly begin to grow inside the drains.
As these roots grow, they will create a blockage. It is rare that the roots will completely block off the pipe, but they will lessen the amount of space in the system. This will greatly reduce the capacity of this particular part of the system, which can place a great deal of pressure on the system as a whole.
Dealing with Root Blockages in Drains
Even removing the tree which caused the problem in the first place doesn’t work. The damage will already have been done and it is possible for the roots to continue to grow anyway. Once the roots are firmly in the drainage pipes, there isn’t much you can do about it.
The only real option is to call in a professional team who will be able to identify the precise spot of the blockage. Depending on the severity of the situation, they may be able to remove the roots and return the system to good working order. However, it is equally likely that the pipe in question will need to be removed and replaced as soon as possible.
Contact Drainage Care for Comprehensive Root Blockages in Drains Removal Services
The Drainage Care team can provide an industry-leading service to help you deal with all kinds of drain issues. Whether you’re suffering from root growth or any other kind of blockage, our team are here to help. Our professionals can clear and unblock all kinds of drains. We can also offer a range of repair and replacement services as required.
For more information on our range of drainage healthcare services, including landscaping and groundwork services, get in touch with our team today. You can reach us by making the most of our simple online contact form. If you prefer, you can also call us on 0800 193 9973 with any questions or concerns you might have.
- Thames Ditton